Registered users
Registered users
Make: mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1988
Body Code: HC

new to the 929

Post by froderick » Sat May 22, 2010 2:58 am

I recently purchased a 88 929 with the sohc 3.0 and the automatic. i'm unsure what i want to do with the car in terms of a new motor or whatever, is there anyone out there thats done a successful engine swap with a more powerful/efficient motor? any success with a supercharger? plans for mine include a electric cooling fan, engine swap or rebuild, tranny rebuild, balance the driveshaft (one of the weights came off at some point so it makes some funny noises), steering gear rebuild, new struts (any pointers there? or just stick with original?), new wheels, sound, and repair the dash. possible paint job but we'll see.
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin
Make: Mazda
Model: Luce
Body Code: HCFS

Re: new to the 929

Post by Matsuda9 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Welcome :)

ok motor swaps are-a-plenty, from 302 Ford V8s, 13BTs (came factory as well), 20BT, 1JZ, 2JZ and 1UZ.... the bay is large enough to accommodate anything really :)

i don't think i have ever heard of the charged J motor.

struts, you can go with the original (non auto adjusting) KYBs. FC Rx7 Coils will fit (but with taller shock is the choice to avoid being WAY to low)

sound, have a look at JAY-929s thread in the garage section of this forum :)

once again, welcome and lets see some pics :D
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Body Code: HC01

Post by JAY-929 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:32 pm

For some reason, my post never went through here last night, BUT Matsu to the rescue :D

Welcome aboard, mate.

Have you got budgets in mind for any of these? Or would these be a "to-do" list for now and then you'll establish a budget once you've carved in stone what you have in mind for the car?

Another motor to keep in mind (if you want to go down the blown track) is the Commodore S/C 3.8L V6 from the VT S-Packs and Statesman/Caprice range
1988 MAZDA 929 HC SERIES 1 HARDTOP
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Matsuda9 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:21 am

Yeah, forgot about good old buick/Holden V6 :)

Jay, you posted or saved.... this board has an option of saving a post to your profile without posting (to combat the time out)
froderick
Registered users
Registered users

new to the 929

Post by froderick » Tue May 25, 2010 5:04 pm

yeah, im new to import cars so i dont know the "1gu, fr3", blah blah blah engine code words, just say something like 3 liter v6 or whatever and who makes it. im still learning names of stuff for this car. i think eventually i'll replace the motor with a 3.2 liter sho v6 and replace the tranny with an AOD-E. once i get to the point where the rear dif isnt going to handle it, ford 9 inch or the dif outta a 9th gen t-bird. i dont want to put a v8 in the car unless its rather low on torque. i dont think the engine compartment would be able to take the stress of the drastic increase in torque and weight. in fact, the only v8 i'd consider is the yamahammer (3.4 liter v8 from the 3rd gen taurus sho.
froderick
Registered users
Registered users

new to the 929

Post by froderick » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

yeah, im looking to set up my budget after i figure out exactly what i wanna do to it. right now, because it's kinda the family car and i cant exactly yard the engine out in the middle of an apartment parking lot, i'm stuck with a top-end rebuild on the motor and taking it to a shop for certain things right now. never heard of a charged j motor huh? maybe that's what i'll do...centrifugal or roots....maybe roots, i love the sound of a roots blower...clearance issues though...i'll probably have to manufacture my own upper intake adapter for that...prolly go with a vortech if i go that road. i'll get some pics up soon, havent taken a single one yet.
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Matsuda9 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm

if the bay can handle the V8 from HO mustang, or 300+KW Supra Turbo motor (both on stock rear ends)... i think it would be able to handle the SHO Yamaha motor.

13BT is a turbo twin rotor motor (ala Mazda rx7)
20B-REW is a twin turbo tripple rotor (ala Mazda Cosmo)
1JZ-GTT is a 2.0 litre twin turbo (ala early toyota supra)
2JZ-GTT is a 2.5 litre twin turbo (ala late toyota supra)
1UZ-FE is a 4.0 litre V8 (ala toyota Sourer/Lexux lx400)
302 is a 5.0 litre V8 (ala Ford Mustang)

to tell you the truth, i would read up about things and get familiar with motors and options out there. or better yet, pay someon to do it for you. even the JE is a complicated motor let alone looking at charging it or other charged motors.... in your case with SHO, you are looking at making FWD motor work with RWD, that adds a whole lot of new complication.
froderick
Registered users
Registered users

new to the 929

Post by froderick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 pm

the block for the 3.2 sho motor is the same as the block for the aerostar, the ranger (with the 3.0 vulcan), the taurus gl and any other car that uses the vulcan block. i know a lot more about american engines than i do foreign engines. dont really have the desire to learn import engines because i plan on ripping the je out of my 929 and replacing it with the 3.2 liter SHO v6, then replace the piece of crap jatco with a tr5...maybe a powerglide or aod-e, not sure about that yet. then grap the diff off a 90's thunderbird and replace the stupid oversized pumpkin piece of crap. i'm honestly impressed with the car but i dont really care to learn how to work on the powertrain thats in it when i know the smallest minute details of a powertrain that will fit perfectly. i did my measurements and i'll have to make some custom mounts but it beats replacing something that im not interested in learning with something that im not interested in learning. i've sketched out the wiring harness and have that planned out, i've sketched out the overall desired design of the drivetrain and where i'll need to modify things to make it work, now im just waiting on money and permission from my hubby lol. :picking:
froderick
Registered users
Registered users

new to the 929

Post by froderick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:59 pm

a friend of mine successfully put an SHO v6 under the hood of his mg without any hold ups and it has 95k on it since he put it in there. still does an awesome burnout and some fun cookies hahaha. sounds rather gnarly too especially when he pops open his cut-outs.
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Body Code: HC01

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:59 am

Wow..... so you're really keen on gutting the "jap-ness" out of the 929 and throwing some yankee lines and heart in there, huh? I'll be very keen on watching any conversion you make to it :) PLENTY of pics please :)
1988 MAZDA 929 HC SERIES 1 HARDTOP
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION