Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Make: Mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1988
Body Code: HC01

HC S1 929 Audio Project

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:22 pm

OK, I just got the car back from my mechanic... with a roadworthy certificate about 2 weeks ago... and the registration sticker follows next week. So my new years resolution... sound quality stereo install! :D

I've had my audio gear just sitting patiently under my bed for a while. (Collecting dust... also recently sold a few other items to fund me purchasing some extra goodies)

My plans for now are as follows:

Headunit: Alpine CDA7998R Phantom Face (the 1.5 DIN copper chassis units)

Speakers: Alpine SPX-Z18T F#1 Status 3 way splits up front (as I'm paying these speakers off still, I'm installing a custom 3 way split setup to get me by for now and figure out my front stage imaging). I doubt at this time I'll be doing rear fill... but that can change in time.

These are the old Philips GTM series splits which I'll fit until the Alpines come

Amplifiers: Currently in my possession are 2 x Alpine MRV-1507 2 Channel amps. (1 per sub) And an Alpine MRV-F407 for front stage. I could possible get another MRV-1507 for my front stage in due time and keep the F407 for rear fill (IF I go down that road). I love my old school Alpine V12 amplifiers... solid works of art, they are.

Subwoofers: Phoenix Gold Xmax 12" V.2 x 2 (I'd love a 3rd one... but 2 is plenty... for now) :p

Last edited by JAY-929 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 MAZDA 929 HC SERIES 1 HARDTOP
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HC S1 929 Audio Project

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Now... boot install ideas I came up with during the week were the following....

The top one would be good, IF I eventually got my hands on another MRV-1507 amp. So, for now, I'm steering towards the bottom pic. I've just sat these in place to see what options I have in the boot (good thing with th HC boots, the spare wheel is on the side and they have boots you can virtually hide dead bodies in! :p hahaha)

The box that I'll be making for the subs will be a sealed enclosure. 1.0 cubic feet per sub. 18mm MDF. The initial installation will be a basic look with the 3 amps and will match the boot's factory carpet. Eventually, I want to have at the base of the amps some woodgrain highlights and the the amps protected with a perspex or toughened glass cover and some pc ball bearing fans installed to cool them off. Will I do some subtle lighting effects? MEH... I'll see how the mood/dollar factor goes during the whole process.

Eventually.. I'd like to get it to the stage where the install color matches the interior (the direction I'm going with the interior is suede/leather/woodgrain). BUT that WILL have to wait. Finances take priority and I am now doing this install on a "student" budget... so it will take a little longer than I'd like it to. BUT.. all good things do come in time... and perfection is NEVER rushed! True? ;)
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Tomorrow I'll be measuring the boot up for final measurements/angles and also, sussing out the kick panels in the cabin (to figure out how I intend on glassing up some custom pods to fit the midrange and tweeters). More pics then.

Any questions/suggestions... by all means, ask away :)
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Also.. I just managed to score two extra items.... (currently in transit)

An Alpine 6 Disc MP3 stacker (CHA-S634) and a Phoenix Gold BassCUBE (Sound Processor). The BassCUBE I just sourced from The Netherlands, as they are becoming rare as hen's teeth.

I forgot to mention that I have a Stinger Pro Og power kit and Aerpro RCA leads/connectors ready to go. I am just awaiting on sound deadening sheets (and paint) and I'll do the boot and doors.

I'll make sure I post up tutorial threads during the install of whetever I do on the car in the audio tech section.
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JAY-929 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:54 am

Updates are... I'm still waiting for my brother to say "Johnny.. I've got some MDF for you to pick up" Until that happens, I'm stuck with regards to getting a start on the boot :(

I sussed out the kick panels (where I intend on installing the midranges and tweeter) and I was rapt with the result.

This is how they are going to sit. There's enough room there for the 4" magnet... otherwise.. I MAY have to grind out a little bit more breathing space. But we'll see when I start templating the speaker angles.

I found a pair of Philips GTM1750 splits sitting at my brother's place (from his wife's old car). I asked him if he's going to be using them and he said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Take 'em!" My cogs in my brain turned up a notch and I thought "Hmmmm.... Dual Mids... EH.. Why not!" :p

I can quite easily fit a Kicker 2 channel under the driver's seat (out of sight completely) and that'll power the 4" splits and I run both 6.5" mids off the F407. The F407 also has a pre amp jack too (like the 1507) So... I just need a 3m set of RCA leads to run from the Kicker to the Alpine and then from the Alpine amp to the head unit. That's my brainstorm for the improved semi-active front stage. So, 2 mids in the doors... and my 4s and 1s in the kicks. THAT SETTLES THAT.

This Friday, I'll install the head unit and feed the RCA's through the car down to the boot. I'm hoping for the next weekend to either start on the kicks or the boot. But the head unit is DEFINITELY going in this weekend! More pics then.

That's my update for now ;)
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:11 am

I haven't had a chance to fit any of the audio gear as yet; as I've been snowed under with ALOT of things... however....

OK... I had to do a SLIGHT upgrade of the wheel! So this soaked up my afternoon today :)

Old Wheel:

New Wheel:

For the full install details of the steering wheel.. I've drawn up a How-To thread in the FAQ section... right here.

Also..... I was tossing up as to where I should fit my stacker. I was thinking to stretch out the cord and just fit it in the boot... HOWEVER... I also considered another option :)

Glovebox Install:

I got excited because I thought to fit the stacker and see what clearance I had....

D'OH!!!!

So I just need to take out a little bit from the back to make it fit... or... glass up a new glove box that can accomodate a stacker in there :)

Last edited by JAY-929 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model: Luce
Body Code: HCFS

Post by Matsuda9 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

from memory, there is a fair amount of space behind the glovebox, but its a bit higher then the floor of it...

great placement idea though
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Cheers :)

I'm seriously considering piffing that glove box panel where those ever-so-useful cupholders are and thinking of making a small feature panel or something. I want to get the flip-out cup holders from the VY-VZ Calais and whack them either side of the head unit. There's enough room for them.
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by JAY-929 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 am

OK, that cup holder idea was officially put to rest! I'd have to make a replica of that whole surround in something OTHER than steel (as it is currently! :s)

I have not had a chance to work on this thing as yet (slack-ass-me), as I've had a few other commitments to attend to. My Phoenix Gold Bass C.U.B.E. is just about on it's way from overseas (I finally paid for it all), so that should board here soon enough. Also, HOWEVER, I have acquired finally 2 other goodies. I scored a pair of Vifa XT25TG30-04 tweeters.

There is talks of getting my hands on another MRV-F407 amplifier for my tweeters/midranges, while my other F407 can just run the midbasses. I'll see how that goes.

Hopefully, I can get the brackets done tomorrow or sunday. Requires a little bit of cutting & welding.. Or I just might manufacture a whole new bracket for the headunit. Whichever way it goes, I'll keep you all posted

Here's the Vifa Tweeter and Bass CUBE below:
yakuza
Registered users
Registered users
Make: mazda
Year: 1989
Body Code: hc

Post by yakuza » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 am

looks like its gonna be a pretty awesome stereo once you're all done. are you goin to be doin any battery or alternator upgrades or adding a second battery to handle those 3 amps? ive been considering getting a second V12 amp to power my type X splits that have been sittin in my cupboard for ages, but im just worried about the power drain