Registered users
Make: Mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1992
Body Code: HD

HOLD Flash, no start

Post by bobt » Sat May 07, 2011 11:35 am

Hello all,

Sorry for brief introduction, new to this site and I own a 1992 Mazda 929 HD. :)
I live in a fairly rural area where there are limited number of mechanics and workshop around, most of them just repair diesel or older vehicles.

Recently the HOLD light in the dash been flashing and engine would not start. Engine cranks, but no ignition whatsoever. Bridged the TAT terminal in the diagnosis and turned out for a code 12 - throttle position sensor error.

I'm located fairly distant to a Mazda workshop (100+km) and local mechanics don't know much about the car. I'm in process of getting a replacement sensor. My question is that is this the only way to cause a non-start situation or there are more complicated issues?

What need to be checked from here?
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model: Luce
Year: 1988
Body Code: HCFS

Re: HOLD Flash, no start

Post by Matsuda9 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:09 am

Welcome :)

the TPS shouldn't affect the starting.

did you check the first usual:
* got spark?
* got fuel?

was the car driving before? were there any changes before she died?

pop the distributor cap and see if the rotor is spinning.... if it isn't you have timing best issue... which is complex but easy ;)
Rj7926
Registered users
Registered users
Model: 929
Year: 1989
Body Code: HC

Re: HOLD Flash, no start

Post by Rj7926 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:14 am

Hay guys n girls i know this is an older post but it may help others lookin for the info theres a fuse in the drivers side kick panel called engine (15 amp) with this fuse blown it stops all the engine and transmission sensors and will cause the symptoms described best of luck :D
Tempt not the devil :P