Site Admin
Site Admin
Make: Mazda
Model: Luce
Year: 1988
Body Code: HCFS

Found my Bastard of Electric Leak

Post by Matsuda9 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Well this is my 2nd HC, my old one had developed an electric leak that i could never find... then time has passed and i bought my current one.... with time it has developed the same. my thoughts were always were with trailer plug wiring as both had them and knowing how dodgily they are usually wired in. so in the bin it went .... result = no result

so yesterday, armed with multimeter and the wife i was going to find that leak or just go ape-sh!t like the kid whose mum cancelled his WOW account.

after two hours of pulling fuses and plugs while suspended upside down i was close to spiting the dummy and removing the dash, then for some reason started to look sideways on the cigarette lighters (got two on at the back on at the front) started to take action to remove the center console.... scream from the wife that amps have dropped... hooray... so what is it that i unplugged? the god **** shifter lock motor.... that didn't even work on this car when i bought it...

started to strain my memory and things fell into place.

on both cars i have replaced the shifter bushes and in both cases i was having issues with that **** lock when taking out the shifter.

here is shifter lock mechanism from rx7 ours is similar except we don't have the key lock-out
sorry guys, i DERPED and didn't photograph ours, you can't miss it, its a black box under the shifter that hooks onto the shifter.... and looks WAY out of place

when i disconnected the draw went down from .24-.30A to acceptable .01A.
the leak used to drain the battery after 2-3 days of not starting.... and it would drain it dead.

hence, the moral of the story, if you have a ******* leak it is possible that this is it... also if you do have a loose shifter and decide to replace the the bushes ensure that you check if you have any electrical drains in any shifter position after you are done
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Make: Mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1988
Body Code: HC01

Re: Found my Bastard of Electric Leak

Post by JAY-929 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this, Matsu :)
1988 MAZDA 929 HC SERIES 1 HARDTOP
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION