Registered users
Make: Mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1988
Body Code: HC

My problems thread

Post by SilentWizard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:27 pm

1988 Mazda 929
Car has been giving me a big headache. Oh well, still love it.

Been doing a few things today with it, tested different stuff. The car would start, rev smooth while cold, warm up, try to idle and die. Anytime it goes near or under 1K RPM, it stutters REALLY bad. Once warm tho, it dies. Got it to stay started (a few vacuum lines). Yay.

Brakes have been BAD. Ever since I got it. Previous owner replaced master cylinder. I haven't drove it in about a month, now there's NO brake fluid in there. If I pump the brakes the engine nearly dies. I unplugged the vacuum line to the brakes and wow, engine smooths out a little. Bah. Going to get a new brake booster and check around for leaks.

One last thing, am I blind or retarded? There's NO diagnostic port next to the battery. In the book, it says there should be one of two types of ports. Nothing. What am I missing?!?!
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model: Luce
Body Code: HCFS

Re: My problems thread

Post by Matsuda9 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:54 pm

Welcome :)

if you car runs better with the Break Vacuum Assist blocked, then you have internal leak in your breaking system, i would have a good break tech look at it, but before that, replace the check valve in the hose (may have been installed in reverse as well) from the engine to master cylinder. if that does not solve it next step is have a look for leaks at all points of system (master, lines, callipers, cylinders)

also don't forget to bleed the system
chevyboy6902
Registered users
Registered users
Make: mazda
Model: 929 S
Year: 1991

My problems thread

Post by chevyboy6902 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 am

the diognostic port is by the battery . i found mine alongside the battery and had to remove my battery to pull it out fromalongside the inner fender. if you have to bleed the break system make sure if your car has abs or not if it does it can be a pain in the ass as i found out on my 91.hope this helps.
SilentWizard
Registered users
Registered users

My problems thread

Post by SilentWizard » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks Chevyboy.

The brake problem turned out to be the actuator rod (or whatever its called) in the brake booster not being fully seated in the master cylinder. Fixed that, bled brakes, one problem down. Ahhh so nice to have brakes again :D

Diagnostic port is NOT anywhere. Took the battery out, fallowed all wires from the firewall to the battery, firewall to the air cleaner. Nothing. Ugh. I will take pics later, maybe I'm missing something but the book shows a fairly big, clunky port and I've found it on the junkyard cars.

Engine seems to have gotten worse. The only thing I can think of is the ICS. I messed with it when I replaced the O-rings on the injectors. Crossing my fingers that's whats wrong because I had to turn the distributor fully advanced just to get it to idle, and it still dies. Took a timing light to it but couldn't find a timing mark. I didn't really expect to since its so far advanced.

Well, its 7 am, the suns about to come up, another full day or checking the car out.
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Matsuda9 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:11 pm

if you looking for OBDII connector, you will not find it on 88, we had a small, green, single wire plug between the Air Flow Meeter and the coil. you will earth that then look for the 'check engine' light for the codes
SilentWizard
Registered users
Registered users

My problems thread

Post by SilentWizard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks again. I know we don't have an OBD II but we have a OBD I. According to this Chiltons Book. I knew we had to ground that single green wire to do the timing, but I'll do it to see the engine codes.

This page says all cars that are fuel injected have self diagnosing abilities.

And this one shows were it's supposed to be at
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin

My problems thread

Post by Matsuda9 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:36 am

From memory that book covers a hell lot of models :P

the connector is on the other side to the battery.

have a look behind air box just under the relay box

SilentWizard
Registered users
Registered users

My problems thread

Post by SilentWizard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:49 am

Oh the book only covers 323/626/929/GLC/Mx-6/RX-7 from 1978-1989 haha yes, alot of models.

So I just ground that wire, than turn the ignotion switch to "on" and watch the light flash, right?

Is your car boosted?
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Matsuda9 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:35 am

yup, that is the plug that is earthed when setting idle and timing(i think)

with the light i think it will first do a test code 3 short 3 long (again i think)

yes mine is boosted JF-T :D
SilentWizard
Registered users
Registered users

My problems thread

Post by SilentWizard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 am

I might have finally found my problem....well one. Can someone confirm this is one tooth off? I don't have my book with me. The other side is lined up with the little "point" and circle. This one the circle on the cam sprocket seems to be a tooth off. I will be cleaning the entire front of the engine off and replacing gaskets, all that gunk in there doesn't sit right with me :).
The good news that came out of this is the timing belt is brand new, the water pump is new, the pulleys are new, the distributor cap and rotor are new. Looks like the P.O. put some money into the car than dumped it.