Hd motor removal..

jitb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hd motor removal..

Post by jitb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Im looking into replacing my motor with a fresh one, and some tranny work also. But i was curious to know if anyone has pulled an HD motor out. is it complicated, ive done plenty of motor swaps etc... but as we all know you never know until u start. My motor is fine, its just the valve seals are starting to leak more and more. and for the price to fix, i can buy a new motor..
jw8320
Registered users
Registered users
Make: Mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1994
Body Code: HD

Hd motor removal..

Post by jw8320 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:42 pm

I had my motor swapped in my HD... Although I didnt do it, I can tell it wasnt difficult. I paid $475 for my motor, and $600. for the swap. My advice, replace all your coolant/heater hoses while the engine it out. Might wanna do other stuff like timing belt w/ tensioner, check idler pulley, water pump, and have new exhaust manifold gaskets, and intake manifold gaskets. Might as well clean up the egr valve while its easily accessible. Might want a new gasket for egr, throttle body, IAC. Mazda manual says replace when doing work in there. Good luck!
jw8320
Registered users
Registered users
Make: Mazda
Model: 929
Year: 1994
Body Code: HD

Hd motor removal..

Post by jw8320 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Another thing, if theres any rust as all in cooling system, you should completely flush system and drain before starting the job....otherwise the rust will quickly settle and dry up while you're doing the swap. This can easily plug your heater-core and cause circulation problems. Flush it well!