Site Admin
Make: Mazda
Model: Luce
Year: 1988
Body Code: HCFS

AU: Camilleri on Track for Australian Six Hour

Post by Matsuda9 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:34 am

via Mazda Corp Australia

The Grand Prix Motorsport crew of Jake Camilleri and Scott Nicholas will once again team up as they seek glory in next weekend’s Dial Before You Dig Australian Six Hour at Eastern Creek Raceway.

The duo, one of the few teams to fly solo at the Bathurst 12 Hour in recent years, is pumped up for more outright success aboard the team’s Mazda3 MPS.

The race doubles as the fourth round of the Australian Manufacturers Championship, and with only two rounds remaining after Eastern Creek, the focus for the event is to walk away with maximum championship points.

“It’s been a big lead up to the six hour, and we’re really excited, can’t wait,” Camilleri said.

“Graeme (Murray, team manager) has been working very hard on the car, we’ve done some testing and we think we should be on the money.

“We didn’t have the best run at Bathurst earlier in the year, so we really want to make amends for that at Eastern Creek in the Six Hour.

“We’re right in the championship hunt, and that’s our focus, to post a strong result and take maximum points home.”

Joining Camilleri once again and completing the Queensland based line up, Scott Nicholas is looking to taste more success at Eastern Creek, having previously been a winner at the Western Sydney circuit.

“I’m really happy to be back with the Camilleri family again after Bathurst,” Nicholas said.

“Eastern Creek has been very good to me in the past when I was racing against Jake in the Saloon Cars, the test session was successful, we found a direction with the set up where the car will look after itself.

“Also, now I know what to expect from a front-wheel-drive car around there.

“My job for the weekend is to keep Jake in the championship hunt; it should be a top weekend!”

The down time since the last championship round at the start of May at Phillip Island has seen the Grand Prix Motorsport crew take on a rigorous preparation program for the second endurance race of the year, led by team manger Graeme Murray.

“Everything is right on track, it’s going to be great to get back into endurance racing mode,” Murray said.

“Scotty had a drive of the car at Eastern Creek about a month ago to dial himself back into the Mazda 3 MPS, and it was a very fruitful day.

“We also did a Mazda drive day at Lakeside, but since then the car has been given a freshen up, and it’s ready to go.

“The package has been very reliable this year, so we don’t want to make any massive changes to the car.

“The Mazda 3 MPS is fairly well suited to Eastern Creek, and if luck falls our way, we could be on for an upset outright result.”

Fans that can’t be trackside on July 17-18 for the Dial Before You Dig Australian Six Hour can follow all of the action live on the internet, with race footage streamed through www.thenationals.com.au/australian6hour/