Site Admin
Make: Mazda
Model: Luce
Year: 1988
Body Code: HCFS

Mazda3 Could Overtake Civic as Top-Seller

Post by Matsuda9 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:00 am

Via Mazdapedia

Mazda3 sales have come on so strong in 2010 that the Japanese vehicle is about to overtake competitors at Honda and their Civic as #1 car in that class.

After 12 years at the top of the charts, Civic is about to lose its thrown spot. So far this year, sales of the Mazda3 are tracking ahead of the ubiquitous Civic. True, it’s a slim margin – Mazda leads by just a hair more than 100 cars so far – but if growth trends continue, Mazda could overtake Honda as the best-selling car in this country in 2010. The Mazda3 has seen its sales grow roughly 15 per cent year-to-date, while the Civic’s sales are down 1 per cent compared with the same period last year.

Dennis DesRosiers, the industry analyst who compiled the numbers, said “You can’t avoid getting one year older every year. When products get long in the tooth like the Civic, and you have a competitor that’s better priced and better equipped, then you have a hard time competing.”

The best-selling brands – Toyota, Honda and Mazda – have reliability in common, Mr. DesRosiers said. They can differentiate themselves by lowering prices, offering more features in a package, and updating the engineering. Honda has been unwilling to compromise on pricing and equipment levels; the Mazda model has the advantage of engineering that is four years newer than the Civic’s.

“The Mazda3 is just phenomenal. Every day we have a few dozen people coming in, and they just want to drive it,” said Alexandre Saillant, the general manager and co-owner of Laurier Mazda in Sainte-Foy, Que. A former Pontiac dealership, in the months since they began selling Mazdas Mr. Saillant said he’s seen a difference in how customers approach the car. “They’re not buying it because it’s the cheapest car around. They’re buying it because they desire it, they want to drive it,” he said.
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Model: 929
Body Code: HC01

Re: Mazda3 Could Overtake Civic as Top-Seller

Post by JAY-929 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:11 pm

I've lost count how many of these Mazda 3's I've seen on the road. They are popping up everywhere!

GO MAZDA!!!
1988 MAZDA 929 HC SERIES 1 HARDTOP
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
ny4n
Registered users
Registered users
Year: 1995
Body Code: HD

Post by ny4n » Tue May 25, 2010 2:11 pm

There's LOADS in Perth. I've actually seen a house somewhere in my neighborhood with two of them. A black MPS and a red SP25!!
Matsuda9
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model: Luce
Body Code: HCFS

Post by Matsuda9 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 pm

this is for US, i don't think we had such a bit Civic invasion.... i think here the main competitor would be Corolla or Barina (but that one is out of contention since they started to re-badging Daewoo Karlos)

even my folks, they gave VX commodore to my brother and bought a little 3 Sedan :)

its ok..... but i'm not a fan of the today's cars (from the inside mostly)
JAY-929
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Body Code: HC01

Post by JAY-929 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 am

For Australia... it's the Rolla topping the charts. BUT.. the Mazda 3's aren't too far behind them either ;)
1988 MAZDA 929 HC SERIES 1 HARDTOP
CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION